Collibra's approach to metadata is to provide an extensible metadata model that supports the complexity of real world information architectures.
This approach has seen Collibra named a leader in the 2016 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Metadata
Collibra supports four kinds of metadata assets
- Governance assets - such as Policies, Data Sharing Agreements or Report Catalogues - provide the high level business framework and context for underlying metadata
- Technical assets such as systems and data sources provide technical context for underlying metadata
- Business assets - such as business terms, calculations or KPIs - provide the business context and definitions of metadata
- Data assets - such as data elements, data dictionaries - provide the technical details pertaining to the technical data organisation
Using Collibra, data stewards are able to capture complex relationships between different assets types and metadata elements, achieving complete business traceability.
Each asset is defined with in a particular context (such as Finance), and is supported by workflows routed to a specific data governance community - in this example, the Working Group on Rules and Policies. This gives complete visibility and governance on all metadata assets.
Llearn more about Collibra structural concepts
Connecting and Enriching metadata
This variety of metadata is necessary to model, assess and understand real world data use and architectures.
Collibra provides the flexibility and extensibility to source and extend metadata from a variety of technical sources - such as ETL tools, metadata tools, data modelling tools, master data tools, and data quality tools.
- Collibra Connect and its purpose built connectors access the metadata stored in various applications and data sources so that it can be governed, shared and linked to related assets. Collibra can be configured to recognize and manage changes to metadata across a number of applications.
- Collibra allows you to "crowdsource" metadata management - effectively using its workflow and collaboration capabilities to source information and knowledge from business and technical stakeholders, stewards and subject matter experts. this approach leverages the knowledge and experience of the entire organisation and ensures that all needs are identified and addressed.
- Automated machine learning approaches facilitate automated enrichment and are an ongoing focus
Collibra Connect is as Enterprise Service Bus for the integration of metadata. Collibra Connect provides connectors to a variety of common metadata sources